Thursday, June 18, 2009

To Swaddle or not to Swaddle????


So all you mothers or fathers or anyone who would be knowledgeable about this....?
Seth is now six months old and he still likes to be swaddled, I think? But the problem is he is now able to get out of it, but he wakes up and cries sometimes in the night or at nap time when he gets out of it. I try really hard to get it super tight but he is just getting big and strong. So I am feeling like I need to stop swaddling him.... But how do I do that because he now associates being swaddled with sleep. We have other nap time and bedtime routines, but swaddling is part of it. I have tried not to but he just lays there and screams until I go swaddle him. I am frustrated because swaddling has worked so well, most of the time as soon as one arm gets tucked he starts shutting his eyes. I know awesome!! But what do I do now??? How do I transition him out of it?? Or should I not and just keep getting up in the night to fix his blanket, and him just wait until it doesn't work at all??? Is he like way to big for me to still be doing this??? Help please! I am pretty frustrated and don't know what to do!!

***This is him as I type this...Look closely You can see one of his arms has wriggled up and I swear I tried as hard as I could without ripping the blanket to get it tight. In a while before he is done sleeping he will wake up because he is able to move and his nap was cut short :( ***

5 comments:

Sundbergs said...

I had the same problem with Jordyns she got bigger and stronger. What I did was swaddle her without her arms in the blanket and she wouldn't fall out as often and I did that to transition her she didn't like it as well but it was ok. After a week of that I stopped swadling. and she slept in one of those sleep positioners that came around her side know what I am talking about?(if not let me know) She liked that around her i think it made her feel like some one was holding her.
If that doesn't work it is up to you. YOu are the one who is getting up. I would let my kids cry usually after about a week they were over it. It is up to you if you would rather get up until he out grows it or let him cry it out. I know letting them cry is the worst. Good luck hope it gets better let me know.

Jessica said...

Hey Lindy, we had the same problem with Indie. We swaddled her until she was almost a year and a half, which looking back was probably way too long and makes me wonder if she would have ever "grown out of it." Every time I wrapped her she would get an arm out and wake up. Tony was the only one strong enough to swaddle her so it was such a pain because if he was working late I would have to wait for him to come home and put her to bed. Sometimes I thought the blanket was going to break he did it so tight but she seriously loved it. We finally decided we were just going to stop cold turkey. We were prepared for a few nights of crying but luckily she did just fine without the swaddle. It is so hard to know what to do sometimes so good luck with it!

Gina - Peke Moe said...

Here's a great swaddle transitioning sleep sack if the weaning from swaddling doesn't go well - Peke Moe - http://www.pekemoe.co.nz see the Facebook Fan Page for a special till the end of June!
all the best!
:)

Camie and JD said...

Iam having tha same problem!!! I dont want hard nights, but what do I do? Thanks for posting your question!

Kim said...

What I did with Clay at about 6 months was I swaddled him with one arm out for about a week or so than both arms out for a week or so, than without swaddling him at all. It may take shorter time or longer time for Seth. Good Luck!