Monday, November 19, 2007

A sad fish tale....

If any of you know me very well you would know that I like to do crafts but admittaly I am really not that great at them. So this semmester I signed up for a beginning handbuilding ceramics class. I thought that it would be a totally easy A for my last semester. Boy was I wrong. This class has been the biggest headache, and drama of my life. So for our third project we had to build a sculpture out of leather hard slabs. What this means is we had to build a sculpture that is 3 dimensional, all of the components have to be hollow and make it out of flat, stiff, almost dryed clay. Which is really hard to do, if you haven't ever worked with clay a lot. Well after days of stewing of what to make, and my teacher picking on me constatly, the due date was coming up quickly and I had to take all of my clay and instruments home to work on it during the weekend. So here are all of the pictures of my sculpture. It may not look like a lot, but I was dang proud of it. It ended up about a foot and half tall.




So the sad part is, I had started to let in dry out at home because I finished it. And on the transport to class, someone bumped into me and it BROKE!!! All the bubbles fell off and it just started to fall apart. I tried to put it back together in class, but since I had started to let it dry it was past the stage where I could make it work. I was so sad because I had worked so hard on it and I was pretty proud of it. Fortunaltly I have these pictures to show my one bright shinning moment as an artist.

2 comments:

Hillary said...

Pretty COOL!! How are you going to get that to school in one piece!! Do you get to glaze it and everything too?! If so I want to see the finished product! I have always wanted to take a pottery class... maybe I should sign up for a community ed one or something.

I love crafting too! Maybe now that you will be graduated you will have lots of time to do fun projects! We should think of a fun project to do together when I come into town for Christmas!! What do you want to do? I will organize it. When do you officially leave for CA? SAD!! I will be in Utah from 12/21 - 1/9. Lets CRAFT!!

Hillary said...

SAD!!! I missed the ending of the story where it broke!!! That is SUCH a BUMMER! Did the person that bumped into you feel really bad? I would have felt terrible! What did your teacher do for a grade? You could show the pictures... :)